Scout Radio & Electronics Service Unit

Minutes - February Monthly Meeting

Tuesday 8th February 2022, 7.30pm

BATCave, Legana Street, Mount Waverley

Chair: Luke Byrnes

Minutes: Andy King

Meeting Opened: 7.39pm


Andy King, Bryan Ackerly, Daniel Gutsell, Gemma Nash, Kent Cochran, Luke Byrnes, Matt Cengia, Murray Taylor, Neil Wilson, Sarah Thom

Online: Alan Kanowitz, Allison Burdon, Karen Merlo, Karl Donald, Peter Watkins, Quintin Coutinho


Alan Stratford, Alberto Scelsi, Hayden McManus, Mark Perkins, Philip Adams


Alister Blaney, Andrew Canet, Ash Clark, Ben Hodder, Benjamin Hamilton, Bradley Clarke, David Timms, Francisco Rojo, Greg Lipschitz, Jenny Adams, Jodie Bedford, Juliet Montague, Kevin Bedford, Kieran McGuinness, Peter Chaplin, Peter Fraser

Action Items Summary

Expected Delivery Reference Description Lead Assist
Aug 2021 Jul 2021 > VicJam VicJam: Gear availability inventory using Google Forms/Sheets Philip
Sep 2021 Jul 2021 > VicJam VicJam: Adult Registration --- ---
Sep 2021 Jul 2021 > VicJam VicJam: Past course attendees Luke Philip, Kent
Sep 2021 Jul 2021 > VicJam VicJam: Contact Icom and WIA for sponsorship capabilities Philip
Sep 2021 Jun 2021 > 6.b.ii.1 VicJam: COVID Management Plan for ARISS Philip Sarah
Sep 2021 Jul 2021 > Program Support > ScoutHike Liaise with ScoutHike re: equipment Kevin Kent
Nov 2021 Jul 2021 > VicJam VicJam: WSPR station setup
Nov 2021 Oct 2021 > Program Planning > Activities Discuss RadioActiv8 activity for 1st Sandringham Scout Unit with Karl and Murray Luke
Nov 2021 Sep 2021 > Program Planning > Activities Organise 1st Sandringham Cubs Night (Thursday 18th November) Karl Murray
Nov 2021 Oct 2021 > Program Planning > Activities Organise 1st Sandringham Scouts Activity (Monday 22nd November) Murray Karl, Luke
Nov 2021 Oct 2021 > Program Planning > Activities Organise 4th Brunswick Cub Unit Night (Thursday 25th November) Murray Kent, Luke, Neil
Nov 2021 Oct 2021 > Program Planning > Activities SSTV Activity for 4th Brunswick Cub Unit Night (Thursday 25th November) Andy
Nov 2021 Sep 2021 > Program Planning > Activities Contact Moreland Darebin District re: postponing Joeys Day Neil
Nov 2021 Oct 2021 > Program Planning > Training Courses Discuss Training at VicJam with Philip Luke
Nov 2022 Nov 2021 > Program Review > JOTA/JOTI 2021 Provide complete set of JOTA 2021 Logsheets to Kent Andy
Nov 2022 Nov 2021 > Program Review > JOTA/JOTI 2021 Order 300 JOTA 2021 Badges from ScoutShop Kent
Nov 2022 Nov 2021 > Program Planning > Training Courses Create a form to collect VicJam Radio Training and ARISS Cross EOIs Andy
Nov 2022 Nov 2021 > VicJam Discuss VicJam coax requirements Luke Philip
Dec 2022 Nov 2021 > VicJam Discuss purchase and design of Marquee pre-VicJam Luke Philip
Dec 2021 Sep 2021 > Program Planning > Activities Organise Boroondara District Cubs Day Activities (Sunday 5th December) Murray Luke
Feb 2022 Sep 2021 > Program Planning > Activities Revisit Moreland Darebin District Joeys Day Request Neil
Feb 2022 Sep 2021 > Program Planning > Activities Revisit 1st Upwey Scout Unit Activity Request Kevin
Feb 2022 Feb 2021 > Program Activities Provide full details of 'Requests for Service' to Activity Leads Andy
Mar 2022 Oct 2021 > Additional Business Explore First Aid training opportunities for team Luke
Mar 2022 Feb 2021 > Program Activities Work with Heany Park Joeys re Activity Request
Mar 2022 Feb 2021 > Program Activities Work with 19th Camberwell re Activity Request Murray
Mar 2022 Feb 2021 > Program Activities Work with 1st Torquay Cubs re Activity Request Luke
Mar 2022 Feb 2021 > Program Activities Work with 4th Brunswick Scouts re Activity Request Neil
Mar 2022 Feb 2021 > Program Activities Work with 1st Tally Ho/Whitehorse re Activity Request Daniel
Mar 2022 Feb 2021 > Program Activities Work with 1st Alphington Scouts re Activity Request Luke
Mar 2022 Feb 2021 > Program Activities Work with 1st Glen Iris re Activity Request Luke
Mar 2022 Feb 2021 > Program Activities Work with Oakleigh Coptic Scout Group re Activity Request Luke

Meeting Items


State Commissioner - STEM

Sarah joined us to discuss -

Chair's Comments

Previous Minutes

It was moved by Matt Cengia and Murray Taylor that the minutes of the SRESU meeting held Tuesday 9th November 2021 be adopted. Carried unanimously.


Account Balance on Monday 7th February 2022
Cheque Account $606.81
Savings Account $7,437.95

Further details are included in the finance report attached as Appendix 1.

Proposal for transfer of SRESU funds to new bank account

Currently SRESU hold two bank accounts (Cheque and Savings) with ANZ. We are unable to add new signatories or perform any changes to these accounts due to ANZ policy updates after the Royal Commission into the Financial Services industry regarding business bank account management and corporate governance requirements for organisations such as Scouts Victoria.

To resolve this, the Scouts Victoria STEM team is proposing to open an account at Bendigo Bank with sub-accounts for teams, events, and other purposes as required.

It is proposed to transfer the balance of the SRESU's two ANZ bank accounts to a new sub-account under Scouts Victoria STEM. SRESU would retain full control of these funds. This transfer would address the current blocking issues around signatories on the ANZ accounts. This would also streamline our auditing process and and bring us into line with Scouts Victoria's financal management policies.

Motion: That a sub-account is created under the "The Scout Association of Australia Victorian Branch STEM" account to be used by this team; that Luke Byrnes, Andrew King, and Sarah Thom, be added as signatories to the account; that the balance of the Scout Radio and Electonics Service Unit ANZ Cheque and Savings accounts are transferred to new aformentioned sub-account.

Moved by Andy King, seconded by Matt Cengia. 14 in favour, one abstained. Carried.

Answers to questions from the floor:

Program Review

Formation1st Sandringham Cub Unit
DateThursday 18th November 2021
AssistMurray, Kent, Kevin
  • Activity went really well, participants enjoyed the night. Lots of positive comments.
Formation1st Sandringham Scout Unit
DateMonday 22nd November 2021
AssistKarl, Luke, Alli
  • Participants really enjoyed the RadioActiv8 activity.
Formation4th Brunswick Cub Unit
DateThursday 25th November 2021
AssistKent, Luke, Neil
  • Activity went well.
  • Had an issue contacting an external amateur operator.
  • Other activities worked well - message passing, foxhunting, SSTV images, and indoor activities all went well.
  • About 35 Cubs rotating through.
FormationNunawading Scouts
DateThursday 25th November 2021
AssistMatt Cengia, Dan
  • Extremely successful first full trial of RadioActiv8
  • Matilda (Scout), who requested a radio activity night, operated for the activity without training - picked it up and ran with it
  • Daniel Gutsell's Scout Unit
FormationBoroondara District Cubs STEM Day (Sue Keks)
DateSunday 5th December 2021
AssistNeil, Kent
  • Not as many Cubs as expected but a very successful day overall.
  • 2m amateur radio station to talk to an external point worked well, but some youth members were shy on radios
  • Foxhunting
  • Message passing
  • Organisers were very happy with our activities.

VicJam - Amateur Radio

  • No report submitted

  • Discussion on 'what was good?'

    • Air conditioning
    • Most success was after hours
      • Scouts didn't tend to come over from TechWorld during activity time - maybe only 5% came during activity time
      • Positive was that it was one of the quieter after-hours activities
      • Note the success of ISS passes where they could see the ISS as it tracked across the sky as they were hearing SSTV, etc. received.
    • Youth members who came in of their own accord were keen and wanted to keep coming back, some bringing friends with them
    • SDR, morse code, satellite tracking were all popular activities
    • Didn't do as much HF as expected, but still had some youth members on air, including in nets
    • Fox Hunting was popular -
      • 10 trackers available
      • 24 cycles of activity one evening
    • Staffing - quiet during the day, all hands on deck at night
    • Visually -
      • fenced in compound was not overly inviting
      • next time: more bollards, less fencing?
      • next time: large TV outside too
      • TVs were good - most radios had the ability to output something, as well as satellite and sun maps
  • Nothing but good comments about the AR team, setup, and program

VicJam - Amateur Radio - ISS Cross

  • Link to video of event:
  • Thank you to Philip for his dedication and work in arranging the ISS Contact.
  • Thank you also to those who assisted in any way with this event.
  • Note that Dan's NASA jumpsuit was a big hit.

VicJam - RadioActiv8

  • Thanks to Matt Cengia for his work on building RA8 logging and distribution platform.
  • Matt will provide an overview of RA8 as a program next month.
  • Thanks to Andy for his work before and during VicJam.
  • Thanks to Sarah for her support of RA8 as a new activity.
  • Biggest session was around 40 Patrols with operations centre run by 6 Venturers.
  • Thank you also to Kent for loaning equipment.

Program Planning

Program Activities - Dates Known

Original requests and full activity details have been moved to Appendix 2.

FormationMoreland Darebin District Joeys Day/1st Reservoir
SectionJoeys Cubs
AssistAndy, Alli, Luke, Kevin
  • There will be other sections attending, Cubs and Scouts so we have been asked to target the 5-9 year old age group in designing the activities.
  • It is expect there to be approximately 150 children in Joeys and Cubs attending
  • The location will be around the Pascoe Vale swimming pool, either on the grounds around the swimming pool or in the park next door
  • Contact is Alison - District Leader

Update, Tuesday 8th February 2022

  • Neil spoke to organisers tonight
  • Now proposing a date in May
  • Ideas include fox hunting, conductive play dough, hands on activities
  • May extend activity to four-five hours
  • No clarity yet on numbers of youth members, duration of rotations, etc.
  • Original concept was to get as many youth members to experience radio in some form as possible
  • Neil will suggest Saturday 28th May, and find out -
    • How many sessions?
    • How many youth members per session?
    • How long is a session?
  • Neil will liaise with Luke. Luke/Andy will advise pricing for this activity.
  • Luke will advise Sarah of request and explore possibility of STEM Youth Council running an activity.

Program Activities - Dates not set

Activities to be followed up have been moved to Appendix 3.

FormationHeany Park, Knox District Joey Camp
ContactLouise Robertson
RequestHi, we are running a District Joey camp [at Heany Park Scout Hall, Makeham Avenue, Rowville], for approx 60 joeys. Would you be interested in running an activity base on Sunday 20th March 10am to 12 (noon). Thank you
  • Will follow up for more details.
  • Looking for a Lead.
Formation19th Camberwell
ContactDamien Buick
RequestFox hunting is main activity but because we have 30 Cubs we will also need Amateur radio and maybe phonetic alphabet activity
  • Lead: Murray
  • Date TBC
Formation1st Torquay
ContactClaire Passlow
RequestWe had a group of cubs attend CubJam and visited your space - for some it was the highlight of their day. They were interested in Radio and Electronics communication. At our recent unit council, they expressed interest in some further activities in this area. Any support or resources would be welcome. Claire, Parent Helper.
  • Lead: Luke
  • Will look into program resources we can send to the Unit.
    • This links into a bigger-picture aim to be able to provide resources to empower others to run our program.
Formation4th Brunswick
ContactLachie Kelly
RequestHi we would like to organize a fox hunting night for our scouts
  • Lead: Neil
  • What night do they meet?
  • Neil has a Scout who wants to run a fox hunt night - possible combined night with his group.
  • Andy will provide contact details to Neil.
Formation1st Tally Ho/Whitehorse
ContactAdam Clyde
RequestHi some of our scouts liked Fox Hunting at VicJam & would like to give it another go.
  • Lead: Daniel
  • Possible RadioActiv8 night
  • Andy will provide contact details to Daniel.
Formation1st Alphington
ContactTessa Hughes
RequestHi , we would like to invite you to a Tuesday evening session to engage scouts about general information to build radios and other information you think would be helpful We have 7- 9 pm sessions Thanks Tessa Hughes - leader
  • Lead: Luke
  • Assist: Neil?
  • Offer RadioActiv8
Formation1st Glen Iris
ContactMike Lukins
RequestHI! I am a scout leader for a unit of 50 scouts. We are starting to plan our 2022 program, and are interested in a scout radio event at some stage. What do you offer that would be interesting / fun for a scout troop such as ours? Could you come along on a Wednesday evening and run a night for us? Thanks for your help, Mike
  • Lead: Luke
  • Assist: Murray?
  • Offer RadioActiv8
Formation1st Upwey
ContactTim Allchin
RequestPre-JOTA Activity Night 2021 - revisit in 2022 to see what we can offer. Original request in Appendix 3.
  • Defer to March meeting.
FormationOakleigh Coptic Scout Group
ContactPhilip Awadalla
RequestGeneric request - JOTA activity base and electronics kit buiding queries.
  • Luke will contact to scope more information on what they are looking for.

Amateur Events

  • John Moyle Memorial Field Day (JMMFD) - Sat 19th - Sun 20th March 2022
    • Luke will be at Mafeking (VK3SCM) - hoping to activate Mt Quafftumbla (Quaffy) again
    • Future idea: Activ8 the State - reach out to major Scout camps, find out who's camping, and offer JMMFD as an activity
    • Activate Baw Baw?
  • Jamboree on the Trail (JOTT) - Sunday 15th May
  • Any other amateur events in the first half of 2022 that would be of interest in a Scouting context?

Training Courses

  • Assessments held at VicJam
    • Marine Short Range Operators Certificate of Proficiency (SROCP) - two held
    • Foundation Amateur Operators Certificate of Proficiency (AOCP(F)) - one held
    • Noted that we should have had post-VicJam training opportunity to get those who expressed interest at VicJam.
  • 2022 Calendar
    • There is a backlog of people looking for a course at Mafeking - looking at scheduling a course here.
    • Looking at scheduling numerous courses across the state during 2022, considering post-StarTrek:Survival camp, pre-JOTA, and post-JOTA

Discussion on concept forming a 'Radio Patrol' to allow for remote training leading into a shorter formal recap and assessment period.

In the future we will have more flexibility on the delivery of course content. ACMA, WIA, and AMC have advised the syllabus will change but no time frame currently set on this. Once we have a new syllabus, we intend to construct a Learning Management System (LMS) to allow participants to self-navigate through learning experience that facilitates the new syllabus. Test yourself online, get results, identify strengths and weaknesses to gauge preparedness to sit the examination.

We were contacted by Bruce Kendall from Ballarat Amateur Radio Group (BARG) last year. Aim to link up with them for one of our training courses this year. Further discussion to come later in the year around building relationships with amateur radio groups across Melbourne and Victoria.

Note on eligibility to become an assessor:

Program Support

Support Development

ScoutHike Equipment Working Group

  • Lead: Kevin
  • Assist: Kent

No report provided.

Upcoming Support Events

  • Hoadley Hide - Easter weekend - trailer & comms support requested as per previous hires.
    • Kent is available to assist
  • ScoutHike - Friday 13th to Sunday 15th May 2022
    • Luke is intending to run a radio activity base at ScoutHike off the back of the success of VicJam
    • If there are interested Scouts at your sleep point, put out a CQ! Encourage them to have a go.

Puffing Billy Great Train Race (1st May 2022)

  • No information received.

Program Enrichment

Extending program delivery

Consider existing events and look at how we can provide radio activities - not necessarily just amateur radio.

  • Anything Goes (Friday 25th to 27th February)
    • Lardner Park
    • Luke, Dan looking at attending and operating a simple station. Let them know f you are interested in going along.
  • John Moyle Memorial Field Day (JMMFD) (Saturday 19th to Sunday 20th March 2022)
  • Hoadley Hide (Friday 15th April to Monday 18th April 2022)
    • Request to run RadioActiv8 as a replacement for Rogaining for 2022
      • Lead: Luke
  • Stradbroke Cup
  • ScoutHike
    • Intention to provide a radio activity as a base
  • Mudbash (June)
  • StarTrek: Survival (Friday 1st to Sunday 3rd July 2022)
  • Gilweroo (November 2022)

Additional Business

  • Bryan:
    1. Gilwell: Ken Reid and Iam Campbell have retired
      • Unsure what is happening with Patrol Activity camps and electronics kits
    2. Moisture sensor boards (~300) available. Bryan may be able to look at putting together kits.
    3. Fox Hunting gear: JOTA this year - will need a working bee to build more antennas
      • Will likely need a working bee pre-JOTA to construct antennas
      • Note component shortages impacting fox hunting sniffer construction
      • Existing gear is in working order - SRESU have (Bryan maintains) 6 foxes and 10 sniffers
  • Note electronics kits designed by Michael Gross (1st Cobargo)
    • Details at
    • We may be able to distriute kits as part of Radio Active Scout
  • Gemma:
    • Thank you to Luke for his contributions at VicJam
  • Kent:
    • 4 UPS available -
      • Andy, Luke, Matt Cengia, Murray are interested.

Meeting Closed: 10.00pm

Next Meeting: Tuesday 8th March 2022, 7.30pm

Appendix 1

Scout Radio & Electronics Service Unit

Finance Report - February Meeting

Prepared Monday 7th February 2022

Account Balances

Account Balance on Monday 7th February 2022
Cheque Account $606.81
Savings Account $7,437.95

Outstanding Items

  • Awaiting payment for ScoutHike 2021 invoice ($1,682.50)
  • Awaiting payment for VK3SCM, Mafeking Amateur Radio Group
  • Awaiting payment for VK3RMP, Mafeking Rover Park
  • Awaiting payment for Amateur Radio Badge from Brad Griffiths ($6.10)
  • Payment to for shirts ordered for VicJam ($594.00)

Savings Account (013599 268169069)

Date Description Debit Credit Balance
9 Nov '21 Opening Balance $7,437.76
30 Nov '21 Interest $0.06 $7,437.82
31 Dec '21 Interest $0.07 $7,437.89
31 Jan '22 Interest $0.06 $7,437.95
7 Feb '22 Closing Balance $7,437.95

Cheque Account (013599 268166933)

Date Description Debit Credit Balance
8 Nov '21 Opening Balance $2,893.75
15 Nov '21 1st Wodonga Scout Group
16 JOTA Badges + Postage
$40.00 $2,933.75
22 Nov '21 Andy King
Reimbuirse Domain Name 2021-22
$32.99 $2,900.76
22 Nov '21 Murray Taylor
Reimburse callsign payment made with JOTA order
$55.00 $2,845.76
22 Nov '21 Philip Adams
Reimburse duplicate payment for David Bryar's marine course
$135.00 $2,710.76
3 Dec '21 Neil Wilson
3 T Shirts
$75.00 $2,785.76
6 Dec '21 Outdoor Recreational Products
Printed Gazebo
$2099.00 $686.76
6 Dec '21 Murray Taylor
2 T Shirts
$50.00 $736.76
6 Dec '21 Murray Taylor
3 T Shirts (Kent Cochran)
$75.00 $811.76
6 Dec '21 Peter Watkins
2 T Shirts
$50.00 $861.76
8 Dec '21 Ross Swinton
3 T Shirts
$75.00 $936.76
10 Dec '21 Daniel Gutsell
2 T Shirts
$50.00 $986.76
14 Dec '21 David Timms
2 T Shirts
$50.00 $1,036.76
15 Dec '21 1st Bannockburn Scout Group
SPOT Hire - May 2021
$50.00 $1,086.76
17 Dec '21 Philip Adams
3 T Shirts
$75.00 $1,161.76
22 Dec '21 Boroondara District Cubs
District Cubs Activity Day - based on 25 Cubs
$125.00 $1,286.76
23 Dec '21 Nunawading Scouts
RAS Activity Night - 26 Scouts
$130.00 $1,416.76
23 Dec '21 Kent Cochran
Reimburse 2 years PO Box, JOTA Badges & Postage, VK3SBP, VI3JAM
$934.95 $481.81
29 Dec '21 4th Brunswick Scout Group
Activity Night - 25 Cubs
$125.00 $606.81
7 Feb '22 Closing Balance $606.81

Appendix 2

Activities: Details for upcoming activities

Moreland Darebin District Joeys Day/1st Reservoir (Phillip Bailey)

  • Lead: Neil
  • Assist: Andy, Alli, Luke, Kevin

Previous details (Neil Wilson):

After a brief email introducing myself/ the unit - Phil from 1st Reservoir Joeys indicated that they'd had significant interest in this activity at a district level and would like to run it as a Radio Unit Come and Try day for their district, which has 12 Joey mobs.

Their preference is for it to happen on a Sunday in term 4 preferably a Sunday in the back end of November/ start of December.

I indicated that from our perspective term 4 is likely to be reasonably busy with JOTA, VicJam prep and other activities so we would need to consider it at our next team meeting and get back to him with some potential dates.

From the previous list of activities I'm thinking it would be best set up as a series of bases with patrols rotating between them. From our list, potential activities for this age group could be:

Activity ideas:

+ Using conductive play dough to build simple circuits + Playing games such as battleships or hangman with a twist by using the Phonetic Alphabet and learning some simple radio procedures along the way + Building a simple skill tester and using it to compete against others + Fox hunting - patrols of hounds hunting out hidden radio transmitters using sniffers (specialised radio receivers coupled with a directional antenna to sniff out a signal). + Teaching component identification and using circuit building blocks to create simple circuits. + Potentially an SSTV activity - trial run for VicJam activity

Appendix 3

Activities: Dates not set

New activity requests received this month are provided within the agenda body under Program Planning.

1st Upwey Scout Unit (Tim Allchin)

  • Lead: Kevin & family
  • Assist: Dan
  • Nothing further has been heard from the group regarding a pre-JOTA activity.
  • Contact the group again in 2022 to see how we can assist with program delivery.

Original request:

Thanks for all your work! We would like to have a radio night at our hall on Thursday 2nd or 9th September this year [2021]. We have had a number of these nights over the years as our introduction to JOTA which we have attended for many years. These nights have generally been a series of rotational activities including fox hunting, radio battleships, mast erection and talking over a short wave radio. We start opening parade at 7.30 but arrive at 6.45-7pm to setup and finish with closing parade at 9.20. There is generally a window of 90 minutes for the rotations.