Scout Radio & Electronics Service Unit

Minutes - May Monthly Meeting

Tuesday 10th May 2022, 7.30pm

BATCave, Legana Street, Mount Waverley

Chair: Luke Byrnes

Minutes: Andy King

Meeting Opened: 7.47pm


Andy King, Luke Byrnes, Matt Cengia, Daniel Gutsell, Murray Taylor

Online: Mark Perkins, Glenn Perry, Greg Lipschitz, Bryan Ackerly


Alan Kanowitz, Allison Burdon, Philip Adams, Jenny Adams, Peter Chaplin, Kevin Bedford, Jodie Bedford, Erin Bedford, Kent Cochran, Alberto Scelsi


Alan Stratford, Alister Blaney, Andrew Canet, Ash Clark, Ben Hodder, Bradley Clarke, David Timms, Francisco Rojo, Gemma Nash, Hayden McManus, Juliet Montague, Karl Donald, Kieran McGuinness, Neil Wilson, Peter Fraser, Peter Watkins, Quintin Coutinho, Sarah Thom

Action Items Summary

Reference Description Lead Assist
Nov 2021 Nov 21 > Program Review Provide complete set of JOTA 2021 Logsheets to Kent Andy
Feb 2022 Sep 21 > Program Planning Revisit 1st Upwey Scout Unit Activity Request Kevin
Mar 2022 Feb 22 > Program Planning 4th Brunswick Scouts Activity Request: Follow up for Term 3 night Andy
Apr 2022 Sep 21 > Program Planning Moreland Darebin District Joeys Day: Planning Andy
Apr 2022 Mar 22 > Program Planning Propose training dates for marine and amateur courses Philip
Apr 2022 Mar 22 > Program Planning Work with Narre Warren South Scouts re Activity Request Murray
May 2022 Apr 22 > Program Planning Contact Neil for progress updates on Moreland Darebin District Joeys Day, 4th Brunswick Scouts request Andy
May 2022 Apr 22 > Program Planning Contact 1st Tally Ho to confirm date for RadioActiv8 activity Daniel
May 2022 Apr 22 > Program Planning Contact Hurstbridge Venturers to confirm availability to assist with 1st Tally Ho RadioActiv8 Luke
May 2022 Apr 22 > Program Planning 1st Alphington: Follow up for Term 3 session, offer RadioActiv8; reach out regarding Star Trek: Survival Luke
May 2022 Apr 22 > Program Planning 1st Glen Iris: Follow up for Term 3 session, offer RadioActiv8; reach out regarding Star Trek: Survival Luke
May 2022 Apr 22 > Program Planning 1st Wheelers Hill: Reach out regarding Star Trek: Survival Luke
May 2022 Mar 22 > Program Planning Hazel Glen Scouts: Confirm details and organise activity night Andy
May 2022 Mar 22 > Program Planning Moreland Darebin District Joeys Day: Approach STEM YC for assistance with delivering activities Andy
May 2022 Mar 22 > Program Planning Knox District Joeys Day: Approach STEM YC for assistance with delivering activities Andy
May 2022 Mar 22 > Program Planning Knox District Joeys Day: Confirm date and activity requirements Alli Andy
May 2022 Mar 22 > Program Planning Knox District Joeys Day: Confirm pricing model Andy Luke
June 2022 Mar 22 > Program Planning 19th Camberwell (Monday Cubs) Activity Night: Final planning Murray Andy
June 2022 Mar 22 > Additional Business Update on Gillwell Tower situation, including placement of plaque Greg
June 2022 Mar 22 > Additional Business Ascertain current Gilwell Patrol Activity Camp situation Greg
June 2022 Mar 22 > Program Planning 19th Camberwell Cubs: Star Trek: Survival SSTV Activity for testing Andy
June 2022 Mar 22 > Program Planning 1st Tally Ho/combined: Final planning for activity night Daniel Luke
July 2022 Oct 21 > Additional Business Explore First Aid training opportunities for team Luke
July 2022 Mar 22 > Program Planning 6th Box Hill: Ascertain further details regarding activity request, including narrowing down possible date Daniel

Meeting Items


Chair's Comments

Previous Minutes

It was moved by Murray Taylor and Matt Cengia that the minutes of the SRESU meeting held Tuesday 12th April 2022 be adopted. Carried unanimously.


Account Balance on Monday 9 May 2022
STEM - State Radio (Bendigo Bank) $4,330.02
Cheque Account (ANZ) $121.86
Savings Account (ANZ) $0.04
Total $4,451.92

Further details are included in the finance report attached as Appendix 1.

Work Health & Safety (WHS)

Program Review

FormationHoadley Hide
DateFriday 15th April
LocationMataranka Scout Camp
AssistAndy, Matt Cengia, Daniel, Sarah
FormationNarre Warren South Scout Unit
DateWednesday 4th May - 6.30pm to 9pm
LocationOakgrove Community Centre, 89-101 Oakgrove Dr, Narre Warren South
AssistKent, Allison
OverviewFox hunting and message passing & logging exercise with ISM radios

Program Planning

Program Activities - Dates Confirmed

FormationHazel Glen Scout Group
DateTuesday 24th May, 7pm to 9pm
LocationHazel Glen
ContactGurteg Singh
OverviewRequest: fox hunting, electronics, learning about amateur radio
Formation19th Camberwell Cubs (Monday Night Unit)
DateMonday 6th June, 6pm to 8pm
Location909 Riversdale Rd, Surrey Hills
AssistAndy, Kent, Bryan
ContactChristian Burns
OverviewFox hunting and ISM radios chatter & demo
Formation1st Tally Ho
DateWednesday 8th June, 7.30pm
LocationBlackburn Lakes
ContactAdam Clyde
  • Joint night for 1st Tally Ho with Hurstbridge, Bennettswood, Mitcham Scout Units
  • Hurstbridge Venturers attending to run the activity as a practice run for Star Trek: Survival.
  • Tally Ho may request a smaller STEM-based night down the track but Daniel is likely to be able to resource this.

Program Activities - Dates TBC

Original requests and full activity details are in Appendix 2 as required. Activities to be revisited or followed up are in Appendix 3.

FormationMoreland Darebin District Joeys Day/1st Reservoir
SectionJoeys Cubs
AssistAndy, Alli, Luke, Kevin, Neil
ContactAlison (District Leader)
OverviewActivity day for 12 Joey Units in Moreland Darebin District.
  • No further updates.
  • Seeking new activity lead. Neil is prepared to assist.
  • Andy will approach STEM Youth Council for assistance with delivering activities.
  • Looking to rinse and repeat Knox District Joeys day currently in planning for late July.
Formation1st Alphington
DateTuesday evenings, 7pm - 9pm
ContactTessa Hughes
Overview"General information to build radios and other information you think would be helpful"
  • Luke will follow up for Term 3 session and offer RadioActiv8, and reach out individually regarding Star Trek: Survival.
Formation1st Glen Iris
DateWednesday evenings
ContactMike Lukins
Overview50 scouts. "What do you offer that would be interesting / fun for a scout troop such as ours?"
  • Luke will follow up for Term 3 session and offer RadioActiv8.
  • Luke, Daniel, and Murray will talk offline.
  • Luke will also reach out individually regarding Star Trek: Survival.
FormationKnox District Joey Day
AssistAndy, Murray, Bryan
ContactLouise Robertson
OverviewDistrict activities day for approx. 60 Joeys
  • Date options refined to Sunday 24th July or Sunday 31st July
    • Looking to lock in a date to confirm with Knox District -
    • Murray and Bryan are available for both dates. Andy will liaise with Allison to pick a date and confirm pricing.
  • Six bases of 25 minutes each. Two of these are 'down time activities'
  • Approx. 20 Leaders/Adult Helpers but looking for ~5 team members to lead bases
+ Fox Hunting + 'Pick up the poo' - radio/teamwork + Conductive Playdough + STEM: bottle rockets or similar
FormationBayside District Cubs
DateTBC, morning/afternoon weekend activity
AssistKent (PA)
ContactKarl Donald
OverviewSee Appendix 2
  • No further planning required by our team at this stage.
Formation4th Brunswick Scouts
DateMonday evenings, 7pm - 9pm
ContactKim Anderson
Overview30 - 40 scouts. "We'd love to run a fox hunting night or electronics kit building night."
  • Seeking new activity lead.
  • Aim for early Term 3 activity night.
Formation1st Wheelers Hill Scouts
ContactBrooke Whiteside
OverviewLooking for "a few radio activities" on a Saturday. "How long do these activities take?"
  • Luke will contact and discuss Star Trek: Survival.
Formation6th Box Hill
ContactEsta Wiese
Overview"I was wondering if you're free any Saturday afternoon between 3-5pm during this term (except 14/5, 21/6,28/6) or next term (except Aug) to run a session... It would be great to follow up from last year's zoom session! I have 8 scouts"
  • Request received via Daniel. Aiming for a Term 3 session.

Note: Balance of 'big activities' that cover broad aspects of STEM & Innovation program area versus diversity in weeknight program. We need to consider our team's resourcing in addressing these requests to ensure that we deliver engaging and quality program.

EventTreetops: Patrol Activity Camp - Electronics/Radio
DateSaturday 21st/Sunday 22nd May
LocationTreetops Scout Camp
DetailsEvent led by David Reeve. Mark is going along to assist.
  • Mark will be running an activity with explanation and demonstration of radio as well as some radio-based activities including message passing.

Star Trek: Survival Camp - Friday 1st to Sunday 3rd July - Mafeking Rover Park

EventStar Trek: Survival
SectionJoeys Cubs Scouts Venturers Rovers
DateFriday 1st to Sunday 3rd July
LocationMafeking Rover Park
DetailsSTEM camp open for all sections (Joeys, Cubs for Saturday visit, other sections camping)
  • Registrations are open at
  • Please help to spread the word about this exciting STEM event throughout your networks. A QR code for sharing with others can be found at
  • Thanks to Murray for his continued work on 'Red Shirt Rescue' activity.
  • Still looking for assistance with Starfleet Communications - Amateur Radio station.
    • Please contact Luke if you are interested in assisting with an amateur radio station of VicJam style - aiming to line up with Scout camps across Australia for contacts. Opportunity for any range of activities - building antennas, building radios, crystal sets, etc.
    • Kent is happy to assist.
    • Murray has a contact at the Moorabbin Radio Club willing to be a remote contact over the weekend.

Amateur Events

  • None held in previous month.

Training Courses

  • Amateur Foundation Course held at Hurstbridge, Saturday 30th April/Sunday 1st May. 11 examinees.
  • Future Amateur and Marine training dates to be advised.
  • Survey to be issued to get feedback on our course delivery - a concern was received by a parent that the course appeared to be too complex for the Scout age. A review will be conducted to ensure we're supporting youth members as appropriately as possible, including more hands-on practice.

Program Support

  • Jamboree on the Trail (JOTT) - Sunday 15th May
    • Melbourne Region - Murray Taylor
      • All radio points are covered with other operators who have assisted in the past, owing to clash with ScoutHike, but Murray would appreciate anyone else who is available.
      • Members from all sections plus families will be walking the solar system trail along the St Kilda waterfront.
    • Warrandyte - Franc Rojo
      • Franc has also asked if the team/any operators would be available to assist with JOTT at Warrandyte.

Support Development

ScoutHike Collaboration

Luke met with the ScoutHike Leadership Team last Thursday to discuss the difficulties in the 2022 logistics, and to determine appropriate needs for the 2023 event in advance. In summary:

  • "Rinse and Repeat" approach needs to be scrapped in favour of active planning and development.
  • Investment in appropriate infrastructure to support both ScoutHike and our emerging youth programs.
  • Reviewing sleep point location suitability for a modern event.
  • Reviewing reliance on specialist teams to ensure redundancy and responsible event management practices.
  • Adding and changing resources to accommodate the needs of the event.
  • Filters from VK3RMP have been taken to Peter Chaplin at Yallourn and he is setting up an additional commercial repeater to act as the primary channel for HQ - Sleep Point communications. Not reliant on amateur operators for each point.

New Licencee 'Welcome pack'

  • Lead: Neil
  • No updates received.
  • This would be a beneficial asset for the multitude of courses looking to be completed in the later half of 2022.
  • If anyone has any ideas or resources please get in touch with Neil.

Upcoming Support Events

  • ScoutHike - Friday 13th to Sunday 15th May 2022
    • Communications Plan under CICD methodology, with updates provided as more information becomes available. Printable copies will be distributed to relevant parties via email ASAP.

Puffing Billy Running Festival

  • Possibly rescheduled to August.

Program Enrichment

  • None scheduled due to conflicts with the demanding ScoutHike situation.

Additional Business

  • Murray reported 'watch this space' for the Amateur Radio magazine article about VicJam.
  • Greg asked about several matters:
    • It was advised that the Gilwell tower requires work to be done for maintenance. Greg has volunteered to lead this.
    • It was decided some years ago to put a plaque on the tower acknowledging Garnet Bowen and Arthur Greaves. This has not yet been done.
    • What is the current status of Gilwell Patrol Activity camps? Luke mentioned that while we are able to assist, the camps themselves are the prerogative of the campsite team.
    • - suggested adding details of Clifford Park Amateur Radio - this can be completed once a dialogue has been managed.
  • Bryan has 180 soil tester electronics kits in stock. If they are not being used for Patrol Activity camps they could be used for other STEM activities.
    • Gilwell may have more in stock leftover from previous camps.
    • Looking into using these at Star Trek: Survival, aiming for approx. 300. Bryan may be available to assist except for Saturday morning.

Gillwell Tower

  • Mark Ballinger did some work a couple of years ago investigating the state of the tower and was preparing a quote for work required.
  • Greg employs some riggers and has one who is involved with Scouting. Greg would be prepared to have them work for a day on the tower.
  • Happy to proceed with investigating works required, and with placing a plaque as noted above, but require someone to take lead. Greg is happy to do so.

Patrol Activity Camps

  • Bryan is also interested in this.
  • Greg will gauge interest from Gilwell and discuss the situation with Ian Campbell.
  • Patrol Activity camps are lead by a campsite or local team. Our team may be able to support if approached by a local team but we are not looking to lead them. If someone is interested in establising a Project Patrol to run such a camp please get in touch.

Meeting Closed: 9.02pm

Next Meeting: Tuesday 14th June 2022, 7.30pm

Appendix 1

Scout Radio & Electronics Service Unit

Finance Report - May 2022 Meeting

Prepared Monday 9 May 2022

Account Balances

Account Balance on Monday 9 May 2022
STEM - State Radio (Bendigo Bank) $4,330.02
Cheque Account (ANZ) $121.86
Savings Account (ANZ) $0.04
Total $4,451.92

Outstanding Items

  • Awaiting payment for ScoutHike 2021 invoice ($1,682.50)
  • Awaiting payment for VK3SCM, Mafeking Amateur Radio Group
  • Awaiting payment for VK3RMP, Mafeking Rover Park
  • Awaiting payment for Sandringham Cubs Activity Night
  • Awaiting payment for Sandringham Scouts Activity Night
  • Awaiting payment for Narre Warren South Scouts Activity Night
  • Awaiting payment for Hoadley Hide Repeater Trailer Hire & RadioActiv8

Savings Account (013599 268169069) - ANZ

Date Description Debit Credit Balance
12 Apr '22 Opening Balance $0.04
9 May '22 Closing Balance $0.04

Cheque Account (013599 268166933) - ANZ

Date Description Debit Credit Balance
12 Apr '22 Opening Balance $6.86
9 May '22 Closing Balance $6.86

Scouts Victoria STEM - State Radio (633000 190363002) - Bendigo Bank

Date Description Debit Credit Balance
12 Apr '22 Opening Balance $9,670.00
21 Apr '22 STEM Debit Card
VicRovers Trailer Compliance Plate
$30.00 $9,640.00
29 Apr '22 Philip Adams
Reimburse SPOT Service Fee
$334.83 $9,305.17
30 Apr '22 STEM Debit Card
Amateur Course Expenses
$100.00 $9,205.17
30 Apr '22 Luke Byrnes
Reimburse purchase of Pelican Case for TYT Handhelds
$100.00 $9,105.17
1 May '22 Interest $0.00 $9,105.17
1 May '22 STEM Debit Card
Star Trek: Survival Cashflow
$2,300.00 $6,805.17
3 May '22 STEM Debit Card
Amateur Course Exams
$990.00 $5,815.17
4 May '22 Ward
Amateur Course Fee
$150.00 $5,965.17
4 May '22 Trevaskis
Amateur Course Fee
$150.00 $6,115.17
5 May '22 Scouts Victoria
Census 2023
$550.00 $6,065.17
5 May '22 Scouts Victoria
Trailer Registration (Repeater Trailer)
$72.15 $5,993.02
5 May '22 Scouts Victoria
Finalise Census 2022
$50.00 $5,443.02
5 May '22 STEM Debit Card
ScoutHack Cashflow
$1113.00 $4,330.02
9 May '22 Closing Balance $4,330.02

Appendix 2

Activities: Details for upcoming activities

Moreland Darebin District Joeys Day/1st Reservoir (Phillip Bailey)

Activity ideas:

+ Using conductive play dough to build simple circuits + Playing games such as battleships or hangman with a twist by using the Phonetic Alphabet and learning some simple radio procedures along the way + Building a simple skill tester and using it to compete against others + Fox hunting - patrols of hounds hunting out hidden radio transmitters using sniffers (specialised radio receivers coupled with a directional antenna to sniff out a signal). + Teaching component identification and using circuit building blocks to create simple circuits. + Potentially an SSTV activity - trial run for VicJam activity - There will be other sections attending, Cubs and Scouts so we have been asked to target the 5-9 year old age group in designing the activities. - It is expect there to be approximately 150 children in Joeys and Cubs attending - The location will be around the Pascoe Vale swimming pool, either on the grounds around the swimming pool or in the park next door - Contact is Alison - District Leader *Update, Tuesday 8th February 2022* - Neil spoke to organisers tonight - Now proposing a date in May - Ideas include fox hunting, conductive play dough, hands on activities - May extend activity to four-five hours - No clarity yet on numbers of youth members, duration of rotations, etc. - Original concept was to get as many youth members to experience radio in some form as possible - Neil will suggest Saturday 28th May, and find out - - How many sessions? - How many youth members per session? - How long is a session? - Neil will liaise with Luke. Luke/Andy will advise pricing for this activity. - Luke will advise Sarah of request and explore possibility of STEM Youth Council running an activity.

Bayside District Cubs

Original Request:

In our last Seeonee we discused plan for full 2022, our prior approach to a distrct activity day is no longer going forward so I proposed we look at something completly different. I've proposed something around general radio/comms/tech... we have Southern FM pretty close to us and a Venturer involved in that. I'm thinking something around a wide range of radio/comms activities... through a number of bases.

Radio Cubs Bayside (have them prep some music, news weather reports etc to share with those on site... normally its a parent free afternoon - but I'm thinking we link it as a broader social to help encourage more involvement and they can be entertained. Remote Control split challenge of Cubs controlling something remotly by sending messages/commands (have a few ideas to try out at my group first - having been playing with SSTV, could do something with that - i.e. a radio to send the images and a rx ht mobile phone with deocder)

Activ8 activity that Luke,Matt etc ran at 1st Sandy for the Scouts

Fox Hunt around the area... we don't have a confirmed base for the event, but Cheltenham hall and park might work really well. .... plus some others....

Currently looking ahead to term 3 - I need to come up with a bit more of a plan to share at our next seeonee...

Appendix 3

Activity requests to follow up

New activity requests received this month are provided within the agenda body under Program Planning.

1st Upwey Scout Unit (Tim Allchin)

  • Lead: Kevin & family
  • Assist: Dan
  • Nothing further has been heard from the group regarding a pre-JOTA activity.
  • Contact the group again in 2022 to see how we can assist with program delivery.

Original request:

Thanks for all your work! We would like to have a radio night at our hall on Thursday 2nd or 9th September this year (2021). We have had a number of these nights over the years as our introduction to JOTA which we have attended for many years. These nights have generally been a series of rotational activities including fox hunting, radio battleships, mast erection and talking over a short wave radio. We start opening parade at 7.30 but arrive at 6.45-7pm to setup and finish with closing parade at 9.20. There is generally a window of 90 minutes for the rotations.