Scout Radio & Electronics Service Unit

Agenda - April Monthly Meeting

Tuesday 12th April 2022, 7.30pm

BATCave, Legana Street, Mount Waverley

Chair: Luke Byrnes

Minutes: Andy King

Meeting Opened: 7.44pm


Luke Byrnes, Andy King, Matt Cengia, Mark Perkins, Kent Cochran, Philip Adams, Daniel Gutsell, Murray Taylor

Online: Bryan Ackerly, Allison Burdon, Karl Donald


Quintin Coutinho, Greg Lipschitz, Alan Stratford, Kevin Bedford, Peter Chaplin, Gemma Nash, David Timms


Alan Kanowitz, Alberto Scelsi, Alister Blaney, Andrew Canet, Ash Clark, Ben Hodder, Bradley Clarke, Francisco Rojo, Hayden McManus, Jenny Adams, Jodie Bedford, Juliet Montague, Kieran McGuinness, Neil Wilson, Peter Fraser, Peter Watkins, Sarah Thom

Action Items Summary

Expected Delivery Reference Description Lead Assist
Sep 2021 Jul 2021 > Program Support > ScoutHike Liaise with ScoutHike re: equipment Kevin Kent
Nov 2022 Nov 2021 > Program Review > JOTA/JOTI 2021 Provide complete set of JOTA 2021 Logsheets to Kent Andy
Feb 2022 Sep 2021 > Program Planning > Activities Revisit 1st Upwey Scout Unit Activity Request Kevin
Mar 2022 Oct 2021 > Additional Business Explore First Aid training opportunities for team Luke
Mar 2022 Feb 2021 > Program Activities Work with 19th Camberwell re Activity Request Murray
Mar 2022 Feb 2021 > Program Planning Work with 4th Brunswick Scouts re Activity Request Neil
Mar 2022 Mar 2021 > Program Planning Provide full details of 'Requests for Service' to Activity Leads Andy
Apr 2022 Sep 2021 > Program Planning > Activities Planning for Moreland Darebin District Joeys Day Request Neil
Apr 2022 Mar 2021 > Program Planning Work with 19th Camberwell (Monday Cubs) re Activity Request Murray Andy
Apr 2022 Mar 2021 > Program Planning Work with Hazel Glen Scouts re Activity Request Philip
Apr 2022 Mar 2021 > Program Planning Work with Narre Warren South Scouts re Activity Request Murray
Apr 2022 Mar 2021 > Program Planning Propose training dates for marine and amateur courses Philip
May 2022 Apr 2021 > Program Planning Contact Neil for progress updates on Moreland Darebin District Joeys Day, 4th Brunswick Scouts request Andy
May 2022 Apr 2021 > Program Planning Contact 1st Tally Ho to confirm date for RadioActiv8 activity Daniel
May 2022 Apr 2021 > Program Planning Contact Hurstbridge Venturers to confirm availability to assist with 1st Tally Ho RadioActiv8 Luke
May 2022 Apr 2021 > Program Planning Follow up activity request for Term 2 session and RadioActiv8 - 1st Alphington Luke
May 2022 Apr 2021 > Program Planning Follow up activity request for Term 2 session and RadioActiv8 - 1st Glen Iris Luke
May 2022 Apr 2021 > Program Planning Confirm details of Knox District Joey Day request Allison
May 2022 Apr 2021 > Program Planning Liaise with STEM Youth Council to see if available to assist with Knox District Joey Day Andy
May 2022 Apr 2021 > Program Planning Follow up activity request and discuss StarTrek Survival - 1st Wheelers Hill Scouts Luke

Meeting Items


Chair's Comments

Previous Minutes

It was moved by Matt Cengia and Kent Cochran that the minutes of the SRESU meeting held Tuesday 8th February 2022 be adopted. Carried unanimously.


Account Balance on Monday 11 April 2022
STEM - State Radio (Bendigo Bank) $9,670.00
Cheque Account (ANZ) $121.86
Savings Account (ANZ) $0.04

Further details are included in the finance report attached as Appendix 1.

Program Review

Program Planning

Program Activities - Dates Known/confirmed

FormationNarre Warren South Scout Unit
DateWednesday 4th May - 6.30pm to 9pm
OverviewFox hunting and message passing & logging exercise with ISM radios
Formation19th Camberwell Cubs (Monday Night Unit)
DateMonday 6th June - 6pm to 8pm
AssistAndy, Kent, Bryan
OverviewFox hunting and ISM radios chatter & demo

Program Activities - Dates not set/not confirmed

Original requests and full activity details are in Appendix 2. Activities to be revisited or followed up are in Appendix 3.

FormationHazel Glen Scout Group
DateTBC - Term 2
ContactGurteg Singh
OverviewRequest: fox hunting, electronics, learning about amateur radio
FormationMoreland Darebin District Joeys Day/1st Reservoir
SectionJoeys Cubs
AssistAndy, Alli, Luke, Kevin
  • No further updates. Andy will contact Neil to see if there has been any further progress.
Formation1st Tally Ho/Whitehorse
ContactAdam Clyde
RequestHi some of our scouts liked Fox Hunting at VicJam & would like to give it another go.
  • Possible dates for the activity: Wednesdays 4th May, 25th May, 8th June
  • Possibly a combined night with another local Unit.
  • Proposed location Blackburn Lakes.
  • Daniel will recommend Wednesday 25th May for RadioActiv8 and get back to the team with confirmed details.
  • Luke will see if Hurstbridge Venturers are available to facilitate this activity as a practice run for StarTrek: Survival.
  • 3 or 4 Patrols
Formation1st Alphington
ContactTessa Hughes
RequestHi , we would like to invite you to a Tuesday evening session to engage scouts about general information to build radios and other information you think would be helpful We have 7- 9 pm sessions Thanks Tessa Hughes - leader
  • Luke will follow up for Term 2 session and offer RadioActiv8.
Formation1st Glen Iris
ContactMike Lukins
RequestHI! I am a scout leader for a unit of 50 scouts. We are starting to plan our 2022 program, and are interested in a scout radio event at some stage. What do you offer that would be interesting / fun for a scout troop such as ours? Could you come along on a Wednesday evening and run a night for us? Thanks for your help, Mike
  • Luke will follow up for Term 2 session and offer RadioActiv8.
  • Luke, Daniel, and Murray will talk offline.
FormationHeany Park, Knox District Joey Day
ContactLouise Robertson
RequestUpdated request from District Joey Day for 60 Joeys - now looking at activity day in Term 3.
  • Looking at holding an activity day in Term 3.
  • Day running from 10am to 2pm with lunch break.
  • Four activity bases of 45mins each.
  • Date options provided:
    • Sunday 17th July
    • Sunday 24th July
    • Sunday 31st July
    • Sunday 7th August
    • Sunday 14th August
    • Sunday 28th August
  • Allison will confirm whether we are providing one activity as part of a larger day, or all four activities.
  • Andy will see if the STEM Youth Council can assist with some activity bases.
FormationBayside District Cubs
ContactKarl Donald
DetailsSee Appendix 2
  • Morning or afternoon weekend activity.
  • Still looking to lock in a date.
  • Kent is on board to assist with PA for the Radio Cubs Bayside aspect of the program.
Formation4th Brunswick Scouts
ContactKim Anderson
RequestHi, We have 30 - 40 scouts that we'd love to run a fox hunting night or electronics kit building night with. We usually meet on Monday nights from 7 - 9 pm but can change the day and time to whatever suits your team. Hope we can see you soon. Thanks
  • This appears to be an update on a previous request from 4th Brunswick.
  • Andy will contact Neil to discuss request and see if any progress has been made on the original request.
  • Neil has a Scout who wants to run a fox hunt night - possible combined night with his group.
Formation1st Wheelers Hill Scouts
ContactBrooke Whiteside
Requestcan you please come and assist us in running a few radio activities for 1st Wheelers Hill Scouts. We are thinking on a Saturday, how long do these activities take?
  • Luke will contact and discuss StarTrek: Survival.

EventTreetops: Patrol Activity Camp - Electronics/Radio
DateSaturday 21st/Sunday 22nd May
DetailsEvent led by David Reeve. Mark is going along to assist.

StarTrek:Survival Camp - Friday 1st to Sunday 3rd July

  • Two/three Amateur Radio activities needing to be staffed:
    • Thank you to Murray for offering to develop and run 'Red Shirt Rescue' activity base using fox hunting and search-and-rescue techniques across a large corner of the Park.
    • Coordinating and map reading to identify targets - low-tech and high-tech zones.
    • Karl is assisting Murray.
    • Still to staff 'Interstellar Communications'
      • Please contact Luke if you are interested in assisting with an amateur radio station of VicJam style - aiming to line up with Scout camps across Australia for contacts.
      • Opportunity for any range of activities - building antennas, building radios, crystal sets, etc.
      • Assists: Kent
  • Participation tickets are available for Scouts ($250), Venturers ($100), and Rovers ($100).
  • Service tickets (staffing Venturers, staffing Rovers, Leaders) are $45 including food and camping fees.

Amateur Events

  • John Moyle Memorial Field Day (JMMFD) - Sat 19th/Sun 20th March 2022
    • Mafeking Amateur Radio Group at Mafeking Rover Park successfully obtained 113 contacts, 4 more than the two previous years operated.
    • Would like to see more John Moyle events across the state with more Scout camps active. Round table to be held post-JOTA to discuss this.
  • Any other amateur events in the first half of 2022 that would be of interest in a Scouting context?

Training Courses

  • Amateur Foundation Course at Hurstbridge - Saturday 30th April/Sunday 1st May
    • Non-residential course at the Hurstbridge Scout Hall
    • Assist: Kent, Neil (TBC)
    • Currently have 6 registrants (max 12), please contact anyone you know who might be interested to offer this opportunity.
    • Details are available on our website.
  • Philip is looking into further dates for both amateur and marine training, with the aim of having multiple courses in the second half of the year across our rural locations. Would like to run a marine course at Sandringham.
  • Looking at running a Marine SROCP course in June with David Bryar, plus another one six to eight weeks later.

Program Support

  • Jamboree on the Trail (JOTT) - Sunday 15th May
    • Melbourne Region - Murray Taylor
      • All radio points are covered with other operators who have assisted in the past, owing to clash with ScoutHike, but Murray would appreciate anyone else who is available.
      • Members from all sections plus families will be walking the solar system trail along the St Kilda waterfront.
    • Warrandyte - Franc Rojo
      • Franc has also asked if the team/any operators would be available to assist with JOTT at Warrandyte.
  • Cuboree 2023 (September 2023)
    • Possible fox hunting as spare time activity
      • Plan to have appropriate equipment available
      • What cost to Cuboree?
      • Lead: Murray
      • Contact with District Leader from Gippsland who will be assisting.
      • Murray taking offline and will report back as required.

Support Development

ScoutHike Equipment Working Group

As advised, Kevin has stepped back from his coordinator role. This working group will be reorganised following the event.

No operational communications changes have been recommended.

  • Luke will speak with the ScoutHike team to discuss requirements within the next week.
  • More operators needed in order to staff all sleep points.

New Licencee 'Welcome pack'

  • Any progress from Neil?

Upcoming Support Events

  • Hoadley Hide - Easter weekend, Friday 15th to Monday 18th April 2022 -
    • Replacing Rogaining activity with a RadioActiv8 activity.
      • 12.30pm to 3.30pm - the longest session run to-date.
      • Around five times bigger than previous RA8 event sessions.
      • RA8 team heading up Thursday to setup masts etc. Luke is investigating final location for RA8 operations.
  • ScoutHike - Friday 13th to Sunday 15th May 2022
    • Kevin has indicated that he is not able to continue in the coordination role for ScoutHike this year. Luke will oversee our operations at ScoutHike
    • The expectation is that the communications remain as per described in the ScoutHike Communications Plan for 2022, yet to be provided.
    • An updated version will be provided in the next two weeks in preparation for the 2022 event.

Puffing Billy Running Festival

  • Possibly rescheduled to August.

Program Enrichment

Matt Cengia presented an overview of the RadioActiv8 software, including how it can be used to run the RadioActiv8 activity for a Unit night, activity rotation at a large event (such as VicJam or Hoadley Hide), and as a logging and tracking tool.

Additional Business

  • Philip will be offline for a few weeks in May and not likely to be able to respond to emails.
  • Karl ran a station for the John Moyle Memorial Field Day at his Scout Hall and had a couple of Youth Members, including a Cub, having a go with calling and logging. They showed an interest in radio.

Meeting Closed: 9.03pm

Next Meeting: Tuesday 10th May 2022, 7.30pm

Appendix 1

Scout Radio & Electronics Service Unit

Finance Report - April 2022 Meeting

Prepared Monday 11 April 2022

Account Balances

Account Balance on Monday 11 April 2022
STEM - State Radio (Bendigo Bank) $9,670.00
Cheque Account (ANZ) $121.86
Savings Account (ANZ) $0.04

Outstanding Items

  • Awaiting payment for ScoutHike 2021 invoice ($1,682.50)
  • Awaiting payment for VK3SCM, Mafeking Amateur Radio Group
  • Awaiting payment for VK3RMP, Mafeking Rover Park
  • Awaiting payment for Sandringham Cubs Activity Night
  • Awaiting payment for Sandringham Scouts Activity Night

Scouts Victoria STEM - State Radio (633000 190363002) - Bendigo Bank

Date Description Debit Credit Balance
8 Mar '22 Opening Balance $7,435.00
11 Mar '22 Scouts Victoria
2021 Training Courses
$2,700.00 $10,135.00
12 Mar '22 Bendigo Bank
Refund Monthly Service Fee
$15.00 $10,150.00
15 Mar '22 19th Camberwell Scout Group
Cubs Activity Night - 24 Cubs
$120.00 $10,270.00
31 Mar '22 STEM Debit Card
Float VicRovers Trailer
$500.00 $9,770.00
1 Apr '22 Bendigo Bank
$0.00 $9,770.00
8 Apr '22 STEM Debit Card
STS Handheld Radios
$100.00 $9,670.00
11 Apr '22 Closing Balance $9,670.00

Savings Account (013599 268169069) - ANZ

Date Description Debit Credit Balance
8 Mar '22 Opening Balance $0.04
11 Apr '22 Closing Balance $0.04

Cheque Account (013599 268166933) - ANZ

Date Description Debit Credit Balance
8 Mar '22 Opening Balance $6.86
28 Mar '22 Frankston District
VK3SBP Callsign Establishment and 2021/22 Costs
$115.00 $121.86
11 Apr '22 Closing Balance $6.86

Appendix 2

Activities: Details for upcoming activities

Moreland Darebin District Joeys Day/1st Reservoir (Phillip Bailey)

  • Lead: Neil
  • Assist: Andy, Alli, Luke, Kevin

Previous details (Neil Wilson):

After a brief email introducing myself/ the unit - Phil from 1st Reservoir Joeys indicated that they'd had significant interest in this activity at a district level and would like to run it as a Radio Unit Come and Try day for their district, which has 12 Joey mobs.

Their preference is for it to happen on a Sunday in term 4 preferably a Sunday in the back end of November/ start of December.

I indicated that from our perspective term 4 is likely to be reasonably busy with JOTA, VicJam prep and other activities so we would need to consider it at our next team meeting and get back to him with some potential dates.

From the previous list of activities I'm thinking it would be best set up as a series of bases with patrols rotating between them. From our list, potential activities for this age group could be:

Activity ideas:

+ Using conductive play dough to build simple circuits + Playing games such as battleships or hangman with a twist by using the Phonetic Alphabet and learning some simple radio procedures along the way + Building a simple skill tester and using it to compete against others + Fox hunting - patrols of hounds hunting out hidden radio transmitters using sniffers (specialised radio receivers coupled with a directional antenna to sniff out a signal). + Teaching component identification and using circuit building blocks to create simple circuits. + Potentially an SSTV activity - trial run for VicJam activity - There will be other sections attending, Cubs and Scouts so we have been asked to target the 5-9 year old age group in designing the activities. - It is expect there to be approximately 150 children in Joeys and Cubs attending - The location will be around the Pascoe Vale swimming pool, either on the grounds around the swimming pool or in the park next door - Contact is Alison - District Leader *Update, Tuesday 8th February 2022* - Neil spoke to organisers tonight - Now proposing a date in May - Ideas include fox hunting, conductive play dough, hands on activities - May extend activity to four-five hours - No clarity yet on numbers of youth members, duration of rotations, etc. - Original concept was to get as many youth members to experience radio in some form as possible - Neil will suggest Saturday 28th May, and find out - - How many sessions? - How many youth members per session? - How long is a session? - Neil will liaise with Luke. Luke/Andy will advise pricing for this activity. - Luke will advise Sarah of request and explore possibility of STEM Youth Council running an activity.

Bayside District Cubs

Original Request:

In our last Seeonee we discused plan for full 2022, our prior approach to a distrct activity day is no longer going forward so I proposed we look at something completly different. I've proposed something around general radio/comms/tech... we have Southern FM pretty close to us and a Venturer involved in that. I'm thinking something around a wide range of radio/comms activities... through a number of bases.

Radio Cubs Bayside (have them prep some music, news weather reports etc to share with those on site... normally its a parent free afternoon - but I'm thinking we link it as a broader social to help encourage more involvement and they can be entertained. Remote Control split challenge of Cubs controlling something remotly by sending messages/commands (have a few ideas to try out at my group first - having been playing with SSTV, could do something with that - i.e. a radio to send the images and a rx ht mobile phone with deocder)

Activ8 activity that Luke,Matt etc ran at 1st Sandy for the Scouts

Fox Hunt around the area... we don't have a confirmed base for the event, but Cheltenham hall and park might work really well. .... plus some others....

Currently looking ahead to term 3 - I need to come up with a bit more of a plan to share at our next seeonee...

Appendix 3

Activity requests to follow up

New activity requests received this month are provided within the agenda body under Program Planning.

1st Upwey Scout Unit (Tim Allchin)

  • Lead: Kevin & family
  • Assist: Dan
  • Nothing further has been heard from the group regarding a pre-JOTA activity.
  • Contact the group again in 2022 to see how we can assist with program delivery.

Original request:

Thanks for all your work! We would like to have a radio night at our hall on Thursday 2nd or 9th September this year (2021). We have had a number of these nights over the years as our introduction to JOTA which we have attended for many years. These nights have generally been a series of rotational activities including fox hunting, radio battleships, mast erection and talking over a short wave radio. We start opening parade at 7.30 but arrive at 6.45-7pm to setup and finish with closing parade at 9.20. There is generally a window of 90 minutes for the rotations.